Monday, June 28, 2010

Book Trivia- Jane Austen

This isn't really a question, I thought I would just throw this in, I hope you have fun with it.










To Miss_____.




Charade



My first displays the wealth and pomp of kings,
Lords of the earth! their luxury and ease.
Another view of man, my second brings,
Behold him there, the monarch of the seas!

But, ah! united, what reverse we have!
Man's boasted power and freedom, all are flown;
Lord of the earth and sea, he bends a slave,
And woman, lovely woman, reigns alone.

Thy ready wit the word will soon supply,
May its approval beam in that soft eye!*



So here is the question: can you explain what this means?

If you have watched Emma you will have heard the first part of this quoted out loud, but I though it would be nice to add the whole thing here for all to see.

Have a wonderful week. The answer will be posted on Sunday, but everyone is free to answer this at anytime.


*This quote was taken from Emma

3 comments:

Jeannette said...

Courtship, obviuosly! :)

RJ Lyons said...

Your right! :)

I know this one was easy for everyone, but I didn't know that there was more to this 'Charade' than the first few lines.

Which is why I wrote the whole down, in case anyone else didn't know.

I hope everyone had fun, another trivia question should be coming soon.

Miss Mae said...

Well, I had no idea! LOL